Saturday, May 19, 2007

Medical Transcription Reference Books

When I first started as an medical transcriptionist I only had Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary and Saunder's Pharmaceutical Word Book. My MT course required you to have a medical dictionary and drug book. That was also all I had when I started my first job as a medical transcriptionist. I slowly added to my library and the following is a list of other books I have since added:

Stedman's Abbreviation, Acronyms & Symbols (There are a lot of abbreviations in the world of medicine. I use this book a lot).

The Medical Word Book by Sheila Sloane (This book listed different specialties such as cardiovascular, obstetrics, orthopedics, etc. This came in very handy as I worked for general practitioners at clinics with no definite speciality, so I had to have information on all specialities.

Stedman's OB-GYN Word Book

Stedman's Surgery Words

Stedman's GI & GU Words

Handbook of Diseases

Stedman's Orthopedic & Rehab Words

Laboratory Test Handbook

As I said earlier, I did not start out with all of these books but they all are very useful to me now. You can start slowly like I did and eventually you will end up with a library of very useful medical books.

Vist my medical transcription website for articles and tips on becoming a home based medical transcriptionist.

Marilyn Roberts
Medical Transcriptionist

No comments: