Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Is It Really Easy To Become A Medical Transcriptionist?

My answer to that is no. Sometimes you will hear how easy it is to become an MT, to sit at home in your bathrobe and type and make a lot of money. Now this is possible after awhile but you have to pay your dues first.

A lot of people think that if you can type fast and spell well you can become a medical transcriptionist without any other training. I was typing 100 wpm and was a very good speller but when it came to transcribing a doctor's dictation it was a whole new ballgame.

Don't think of this as a quick and easy way to make money at home. It isn't quick and to me it wasn't easy. It was challenging and exciting and stressful all at the same time. Could I have done it without a medical transcription course? No. Not unless I had someone one-on-one walking me through each dictation.

Can I sit at home now in my bathrobe and type and make a lot of money? Yes. I paid my dues. I took a medical transcription course and began working from home right away. I didn't make a lot of money at first but I was building up my experience. Experience is very important in getting top paying jobs as a medical transcriptionist. I ended up building my own business and had MTs typing for me. It is not an impossible dream but you have to work for it.

Would I recommend this for someone wanting to work at home? Only if they are willing to put in the time and effort it would take to become a well trained medical transcriptionist.

This has been a great career for me and I would recommend it if you are up for a challenge and willing to work hard to make this a career and not just a job.

It's up to you. Do you have what it takes to develop a satisfying career while working at home? Only you can answer that question. My answer was yes.

Marilyn Roberts
Medical Transcriptionist

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well with the variety of medical transcription training program available now (on site, classroom, on line), I think it is going to be up to you if you would make it easy for you to learn it or not. Responsibility and perseverance of course is needed (as the same to any kind of career)