Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Medical Transcription - At Home or In-House

A beginning medical transcriptionist would probably find it more beneficial to work in a clinic or hospital before attempting to work from home. You can get some good individual training and one-on-one help. When you are working from home you are on your own. It can be a little scary at first and rather daunting to know that you are responsible for accurate medical transcription if you have just graduated from your MT course.

I started at home as soon as I graduated from my course, but I was mentored all the way by the company that hired me. My work was checked every day and I was sent the corrections so that I could learn from my mistakes.

You have probably heard me saying this time and time again in my articles but it is a very big decision to make. Some clinics and hospitals prefer new MTs to work in-house so they can monitor closely on a daily basis the accuracy and skills of the transcriptionist. So sometimes you will not have a choice but just consider this one of the paths you will need to take on your journey to becoming a home-based medical transcriptionist.

You will start with much more confidence if you know your work will be checked over before going into a patient's permanent chart.

Eventually you will know when you are ready to work from home. Your listening skills would have improved, your speed improved, and your medical vocabulary would have grown immensely.

Of course, with the current gas prices it is even more attractive to be able to work from home.

This is a great profession and I have enjoyed it very much. I wish you luck if you decide you want to be an MT in an exciting field.

Marilyn Roberts
Medical Transcriptionist

6 comments:

Pat said...

you seem very knowledgeable - what do you think about the learn at home training courses - so you think the software they recommend is reliable? What do you think about the quality of training? I already have a background in radiology and med. transcription (8 years ago) - do I really need the whole course, or just an update on the latest technology? Thank you for your input and your tips!

Pat said...

Pat said...
you seem very knowledgeable - what do you think about the learn at home training courses - so you think the software they recommend is reliable? What do you think about the quality of training? I already have a background in radiology and med. transcription (8 years ago) - do I really need the whole course, or just an update on the latest technology? Thank you for your input and your tips!

June 2, 2009 1:08 PM

kpriyarao said...

I can suggest onlin medicla transcription website for all kinds of medical transcription needs. Get online medical transcription training | medical transcription course | medical transcription jobs | Home based medical transcription jobs @ one place visit http://www.online-medical-transcription.net

Unknown said...

At home is really appreciated! coz it really empowers women. they can earn good by sitting at home
Brandon
voice recognition transcription software

Unknown said...

A lot of people are going into this field because of the option that they can work and earn through it at home. The good news for the many students interested in doing is that there are now a lot of schools offering medical transcription training online. People now has that chance to even study it at home.

doren said...

where do you find job as an home based medical transcriptionist?