Friday, September 28, 2007

Beginning MT Requirements

I get questions all the time about becoming a medical transcriptionist. Some people think all you need is to be able to type and spell. I have listed below some basic requirements that are important to become an MT.

1. You must be able to type! If you don't know how to type or you have not typed for some years, then you need to get a typing program and start learning and practicing. Some of the jobs require a certain speed starting at least at 60 wpm and up. For a new medical transcriptionist quality is much more important than quantity (yes, you do need to spell those drugs correctly) but your speed will pick up as you do more and more work.

2. Take a medical transcription course. I truly don't know how someone can do it without take an MT course. Maybe someone who is already working in a medical facility and already familiar with the medical terms could do it but the average person needs specialized knowledge for this type of work. There are many medical transcription schools out there. Start researching them and find one that suits you financially and academically.

3. I have only worked for clinics. Hospital transcription requires a more advanced course. You could talk to personnel at some hospitals and see what their requirements are. A lot of schools offer complete training that would qualify you for hospital and specialties transcription.

4. Even though you work at home you must see this as a real job requiring many hours at the keyboard. Most doctors and hospitals require 24-hour turnaround. In the beginning it will take a long time to transcribe as you will have to be looking up a lot of things so you will be pretty slow. As you get more experience your speed will pick up and you will then be able to make more money as you can take on more and more work.

Marilyn Roberts
Medical Transcriptionist

3 comments:

jude said...

Hi Marilyn, I have been working on my third Module in the MT course and I love it. Today I worked on keyboard exercises. This course is so interesting to me and it is set up so well.

MARIA said...

Marilyn, I'm 59 years old and unemployed. I tried MT in the 1990's and my problem was not being able to make out the med term. I
couldn't understand it correctly. What do you do in this case?

Maria

Scripter said...

really useful blog...keep it up..