Monday, June 25, 2007

Medical Transcription on Squidoo

I have now started a Squidoo lens on medical transcription. My Squidoo has a great link to Cafe Press which has some really neat medical transcription items. I didn't even know you could get MT things like that. I am getting a T-shirt and a plaque for my office. It is all teddybears and they will lighten my working day when trying to understand some difficult doctors and I can look up and see my teddybear medical transcription plaque. Sometimes it takes a little levity to get through some of my transcriptions.

I have been pretty lucky in the docs that I transcribe for most. No ESL's (English as a second language) and they all dictate pretty well. I find the hardest things to transcribe are when they are talking non-medical and I can't look it up. With just ordinary conversation they seem to fly over it and it is hard to understand. That is when I leave the most blanks.

When someone asks me if I am worried about my docs going to something like Dragon Naturally Speaking and taking away my job, I just tell them that my doctors are way too busy to try to train it. If it did happen I would still be working for them transcribing what the computer didn't get right. I just don't see this as taking away medical transcription jobs for a long time. Even if it does, they will still need MTs to edit.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mary Jane!

"My husband is always wondering what I will come up with next to do at home. I’m sure I will think of something."

That's fantastic! :)

I am also a medical transcriptionist and a writer. One thing I have to say about the job is it does allow for wonderful flexibility -- which makes it very easy to pursue other interests, such as writing.

Hope you visit my blog

http://thrivingandtranscribing.com

I have some resources for writers as well, such as Peter Bowerman's site and the NAWW (National Association of Women Writers.)

Take care,
Diane

Marilyn Roberts said...

Hey Diane,

I visited your site. It's really good. You seem to have a lot of balls in the air also.

It is nice to talk to a fellow MT.

Marilyn

Unknown said...

Hi Mary Jane,

Do you know of any software which can integrate medical dictionary with MS Word

Marilyn Roberts said...

Hi Punit,

I am not sure about what you mean. I have put Stedman's Electronic Medical Dictionary on my MS Word.

My very favorite software is Stedman's Medical Spellcheck. I can't imagine transcribing without it.

I mainly use the internet to search for medical terms now. You have to be very careful though, because there are some misspellings and misinformation sometimes. That is when your Spellcheck really comes in handy.

Marilyn

isource said...

Medical Transcription is an area that is seeing changes on a daily basis. Good to see someone from the medical transcription industry sharing her knowhow.